Wednesday 9 January 2008

Discussions of a serious nature.

When we left off last, I had $600 and was going back to full on .5/1. I've gotten back to $800 since then, and usually I'd go up to 2 tables of $1/2 as per the rules.

However, after having discussed at length (actually just the length of a number twenty-nine bus journey) the different pros and cons of this bankrolling strategy, I've decided to stay at .5/1 for the time being, until I can build enough to cash out a little for myself, then eventually move up.

See I'm not even sure I can beat $1/2 at the moment because it turns out I'm probably playing scared.
Scott Campbell, author of the poker and sports blog http://scotty2hatty.blogspot.com/, told me that "the pros say that if you're making folds too much [which I did, recently folding Kings preflop] it probably means you're playing with scared money. So maybe what you should do is move down a level."

His words are wise and more sensible. As he pointed out, as soon as I get to about $1200 and playing $1/$2 I'll actually be playing for a fair bit of meaningful money with at the moment no assurance that I'm playing well enough to beat the tables.

So as I write this, I'm playing $3/$6 and saying 'Sod off I'll play with ALL my money!'. Only kidding, I'm playing 1 table of .5/1 and luckily doubled up in the past 5 mins, so far so good.

I might as well relay the hand back. I have 78 on the button and make the usual 3xbb raise. The small blind re-raises it to $8, so 5 more for me, bb folds. We both have full stacks so with plenty to play for yet I call.
Guess the flop? 678. He bets 13 into the $17, I raise to $40, he calls. The turn is an Ace which is either going to scare his lower pair away (or not? dunno) or help a hand like AK. He checks, I say 'no more cards for you mister!' and push the rest of my chips in, and lo and behold he calls! I double up woo.
A good start.

So we'll see how it goes, until next time! Bye!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.