Sunday 6 January 2008

Playing poker with serious crazyness.

Here is my poker story so far.

Three weeks ago to this day I deposited £20 into Pokerheaven with the aim of starting a bankroll. That gave me $40 with which to play the cash tables. I am also enjoying 30% rakeback thanks to a friend, so thank you for that.

I am a student, and living in a rented flat with tuition fees popping out of my bank account every month,so I generally do not have any more at all to be putting in (even though I should be using meagre amounts like £20 for food and drink.)

I'm not new to the game, I've been playing for about 3 years and possibly more. Every time I've had some money in poker I've had to cash it out - to pay for things like rent and all associated expenses with living away from parents. Either that or I've cashed out some amount, then went on a tilt rampage and lost it all. This cycle - deposit, do really well, cash out, do not so well, play too much, play when bored, go on tilt, throw chance of a proper bankroll away, leave poker alone - repeats for me over and over, well for the past year or so it has anyway. I guess with being a student and more interested in things like alcohol, maintaining a level of control was and probably is beyond me.

And now I'm trying again, but with some changes to hopefully break the cycle. I've set up some rules to help guide me through the growth of my bankroll. They are not the typical recommended bankroll guides. Most forums and informational websites will give advice such as 'Never play with more than 10% of your bankroll at any one time', and 'To play No Limit Texas Hold'em [which is what i'm playing] within a proper limit you need to have 20 buy-ins for your current level'.
Although they are not wrong most of the time they are talking about people who are new to the game, and if not, then in my opinion they are being overly cautious, yet sensible at the same time.
My rules go like this:
1. Play 4 tables at a time.
2. Only play when you want to play for fun.
3. When you have 6 buy-ins for the next level, move up.
4. When you have 4 buy-ins for the next level, play 2 tables at the current level and 2 tables at the upper level.

Sounds crazy probably, but who cares eh, its my money, and its only from a £20 deposit.

So my goals are to get to $1/2 NL, build an amount and cash it out, play at $1/2, rinse repeat.
Hopefully that shall give me enough money for booze and computer games and other things all nice student boys like.

Will I succeed? Who knows, but it will be fun finding out!

My next post which I will probably write and publish immediately after this, will detail my poker ups and downs of the last 3 weeks, to bring us all up to speed to where my bankroll currently sits. I just didnt want to go into that in this post and make it unneccessarily long, plus you can skip the next post if you dont want to find out what has happened.

No comments: